Tech Update: Microsoft planning a Flickr clone
Posted by wholeenchilada on November 13, 2007
From an article at CNet News comes this interesting info: Report: Microsoft planning a Flickr clone. Of course, this information is based on a job ad but hey, if it’s on the internet (especially in a blog) it must be true, right?
“This feature team is building a next-generation photo and video sharing service that will compete with Flickr, SmugMug and other photo web solutions today. This is a ‘v1’ opportunity,” the ad said. And video will be a part of the effort, too: “This role will work across the new Windows Live division with teams like Spaces, SkyDrive, Messenger and Hotmail to construct a winning strategy for Microsoft in photo and video sharing.”
Interesting that Microsoft is looking at adding Flickr-ish services to it’s to the Windows Live offering. WL was hyped a few years ago but has seemingly faded into oblivion. I know folks who use some of the desktop widgets but other than Windows Live Spaces, I don’t know how much use Windows Live actually gets. It will be fun to see if the some Flickrishness can help MS get back into the the online game.
- Microsoft is readying a Flickr competitor: http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9814731-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5
- Microsoft Wants To Create The Next Flickr: http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/10/microsoft-wants-to-create-the-next-flickr/
- Microsoft is readying its Flickr competitor: http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9814731-2.html
- Is Microsoft Building a Flickr Competitor?: http://mashable.com/2007/11/12/microsoft-flickr-competitor/
- BetaNews | Microsoft Hiring To Take On YouTube, Flickr: http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Hiring_To_Take_On_YouTube_Flickr/1194892967